I was trying to figure out what to call those sandals with leather straps that wrap around your legs.  I came home and found the answer.  They are commonly known as “gladiator sandals”.  You can call them knee-high gladiator sandals, or calf-high, etc.  Hope this helps answer another unanswered question!